Thursday 28 April 2011

Six months

It’s been six months today since Charlie died. The longest six months of my life. I don’t think it’s even possible to describe what the last six months have been like for us but for every bad day we’ve had something wonderful and unexpected has happened. If you’d have told me the day Charlie died what we would have done in six months I would never have believed you. Over 131,000 people have read Charlie’s story and we have raised around £9,000 with more money still to come in and more fundraisers planned.

We strongly believe that Charlie is still around us and we’ve had so many positive experiences this year we know he’s a very busy boy. He’ll always be a big part of our family and we talk about him all the time. I think sometimes people are scared to mention his name to me in case it’s a painful reminder but there isn’t a second goes by that I don’t think about him. He’s one of my favourite topics of conversations and I love it when people talk about him, I know people haven’t forgotten him then. The 15 weeks he was with us was one of the happiest times of my life and they are happy memories not painful ones.

We’ve had some really good support from our family and friends and even now six months later I still get cards in the post from friends to let me know they haven’t forgotten. Yesterday a package arrived from a friend with some sky lanterns and we’re going to send them up to Charlie this evening. As always we are celebrating Charlie’s life today not mourning it. Charlie’s life had a purpose and he came to us so we would do the work we’ve done after his death. He came here to save others and we are so incredibly proud of him.

7 comments:

  1. I have read your blog and have been really touched by it. My son was born on 8th August 2010 so not long after Charlie, makes it so much more real for me when I look at him and am constantly struck by what you must have gone through. I have such admiration for all you have done so far and will no doubt achieve in the future, I'm not sure many others in your situation would have been able to do the same. I'm going to go to a talk by someone from the Meningitus Trust to learn more, have to admit to being terrified after reading your story and hope to prepare myself as much as possible and trying not to be over anxious about the littlest thing. Wishing you and your family much love and strength and thank you for sharing your story with the world. Hopefully through spreading your story lives can be saved where otherwise parents may not have realised what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you and praying for you and your family as we always do but especially today. The lanterns will burn very brightly this evening I'm sure. Charlie's life did have a purpose and we celebrate it with you. Love Beverly and Duncan XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a mother and so I cannot imagine the pain that you and your family went through when you lost your little boy. I think you are incredibly brave and inspiring for sharing his story in such an open and honest way. Wonderful things have come out of the terrible loss of your little boy, and you should be incredibly proud of what you've achieved, as I'm sure Charlie is. God bless xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our beautiful granddaughter Poppy was born on 29th July 2010, her twin sister Emily did not make it so we have the happiness of a beautiful new baby, and the extreme sadness of loosing a new baby, all at the same time. We think of Emily every day, and wish she could be here with her sister, what you have done raising the money in Charlies name is incredible, the loss of a baby is so terribly painful its impossible to understand unless you have been through it. You are obviously wonderful people, your little one will never be forgotten. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I'm Roberto from Chile. I have a baby girl who has just 4 weeks. It just breaks my heart to read Charlie's story, but I just can admire your strength to keep going with the memory of Charlie in your hearts.

    I read your blog from a couple of weeks ago, at first I didn't want to write, because I don't know you, and it's kind of invasive... but I just wanted to let you know that even miles and miles from where you are there are people like me that still cares.

    I really admire you.
    Roberto.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't really know what to say as I'm in such a state after reading your story. I hope you and your family have a happy future. God bless your little son, he's with other little angels now.. Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  7. In a baby castle just beyond my eye,
    My baby plays with Angel toys that money can not buy,
    Who am I to wish him back into this world of strife,
    No play on my baby you have eternal life.
    At night when all is silent and sleep forsake my eyes,
    I'll hear his tiny footsteps come running to my side,
    His little hand caresses me so tenderly and sweet.
    I'll breathe a prayer and close my eyes and embrase him in my sleep,
    Now i have a treasure that i rate above all other,
    I have known true glory, I am still his Mother.

    ReplyDelete